
"Global Babies" is a book that was given to Ryan and Lauren by Abuelito and Abuelita. It is their favorite book. If we say "Global Babies" one of the kids will go retrieve the book and bring it to us to read. We love this book in our house. It has pictures of precious babies from all over the world dressed in traditional attire from their country.
While we didn't intentionally get this book for our kids or demand they like it, our hope is that our children will love people of all races. Paul and I have been talking about how we should teach this to our children. My parents did an excellent job at this. I'm not sure I can point back to a particular lesson, book, or experience, but I believe it was simply woven into the fabric of our everyday lives. Both my parents seemed to be drawn to people from other countries. They loved eating food from other countries, and hosting international people in our home. One of my best friends when I was young was an African American girl named Trineka. Then we moved to the Rio Grande Valley (a predominantly Hispanic area) and attended school just across the border in Mexico for a year. The fact that they were willing to put us in school in a different country showed us their belief that other languages should be acquired and that it is acceptable and good to be immersed in another culture. I'm so grateful my parents taught me to love other cultures. Thank you Mom and Dad.
We want to raise our kids that way. We want them to love people from all over the world, not for education's sake, or to be politically correct, but rather for the glory of God. May reading "Global Babies" every time they hand it to us be one small step in giving them a biblical view of God's love for people of every race. Practically that means loving those people, being willing to build relationships with them, or perhaps going to their country to meet them and make the name of Jesus known.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Ryan and Lauren watching and listening as I read "Global Babies" :-)
3 comments:
Great post, Nina! I had seen that book on a list for just the purpose you described: helping kiddos love people of all ethnicities. Great recommendation, I am going to put that in our Amazon cart!
See you soon,
Sarah
I found that book at the library, and loved reading it to Luke as much as he loved it. Its so wonderful to begin even now teaching Luke to love all people because their Creator loves them.
"We want them to love people from all over the world, not for education's sake, or to be politically correct, but rather for the glory of God."
That's a great perspective.
I love the picture of Lauren and Ryan. "Global Babies" and "Let's find boots!" looks like a good combination.
Post a Comment